Chief Electrical Inspectorate Division (CEI) is a part of the Power System Wing of Central Electricity Authority. CEI Division has been given the responsibility to frame Regulation and Measures relating to Safety and Electric Supply under Section 53 and 177 of Electricity Act, 2003. In line with that CEA Regulation on Measures relating to Safety and Electric Supply 2010 was notified on 24th September, 2010. Subsequently IE Rules, 1956 get repealed with the notification of these Regulations under Section 185 (2) (c) of EA, 2003. The first amendment of these regulations was notified on 13th April, 2015. Subsequently, relaxation in experience required for becoming EI reduced from 10 years to 5 years, defining notified voltage to 11 kV, notifying the generation capacity (500 KVA) and the height of the building (15m) above which inspection has to be carried out by Electrical Inspector was done vide Notification dated 16th May, 2016. This Division is located in NRPC Building, Katwaria Sarai, New Delhi. This Division has five Regional Inspectorial Organisations (RIOs) across India. RIO (North) is located in NRPC Building, Katwaria Sarai, New Delhi, RIO (West) in Mumbai, RIO (South) in Chennai, RIO (East) in Kolkata and RIO (North-East) in Shillong.
CEI Division along with the RIOs have the responsibility to:
- Administration of CEA (Measures relating to Safety and Electric Supply) Regulations, 2010 by carrying out statutory inspection of new and periodical statutory inspection of existing electrical installations.
- Amendments in the regulations in consultation with stake holders.
- Collecting Statistics and information relating to Electrical Accidents.
- Inquiry of fatal and non-fatal electrical accidents and suggesting remedial measures to avoid recurrence of such accidents in future.
- Processing of VIP References and Parliament Questions.
- Dissemination of information under Right to Information Act, 2005.